A guide to the tools Mightycause provides to help you share your fundraiser in Facebook, Twitter, and more
Social media is a key way for everyday philanthropists to promote their charitable fundraisers on Mightycause and get their family, friends, and community involved in supporting important causes. Mightycause is a platform built for social media and our team has worked hard to develop tools that make it fun and easy to share causes close to your heart on social media!
Connecting Your Social Media Accounts to Mightycause
In order to use most of Mightycause’s social media sharing tools, you will first need to connect any social media platforms you use to your Mightycause account. When your accounts are connected, sharing your fundraiser on social media is as simple as clicking a button!
You can connect your Facebook and Google accounts when you sign up for Mightycause, but you can add new connections at any time through your user profile.
To access the social sharing settings for your account, log into your Mightycause account and click your name in the top right hand corner of the page. Here you can click 'Account settings.'
From here, you can manage linked social media accounts.
When you have successfully linked a social media account to your Mightycause account, you’ll see it listed here. If any anytime you wish to disconnect a social media account from Mightycause, you can simply press the button for that social media account that says “Disconnect” to remove it from your Mightycause profile.
Social Sharing Buttons
Your page has tools to share your fundraiser embedded right under the donate button:
When you click the Facebook button, Mightycause will generate a Facebook post with a link to your page and a preview of the content on your page.
You can easily post appeals to donate to your page and updates on your fundraiser’s progress using this tool.
Next, there’s the Twitter sharing option. The coolest thing about the Twitter sharing tool on Mightycause is that it generates a shortened, Twitter-friendly link to your page so there’s no need to use tools like Bitly or Google URL Shortener to stay within your 140 character limit!
You can change the text just by typing into the box. Mightycause is automatically tagged, so if we like your tweet and want to help spread the word about your fundraiser, we might retweet you!
Mightycause makes it easy to reach out to people you want to support you via email. When you click the email icon, Mightycause will open up your operating system’s default email program and autofill an email with a link to your page and short message. You can add the address of someone you’d like to reach out to personally about your fundraiser, or add several contacts.
You’ll need to take a minute to personalize it, but this can be an incredibly helpful tool if you’re not sure what to write in an email about your fundraiser!
(Please note that this icon will open up your operating system’s default email program — on a Mac, it’ll open up Mail, and on Windows, it’ll open up Outlook. If you use a web-based email service like Gmail, you’ll need to log into your account and then copy-paste the email into a new email.)
Social Sharing Tips
Social media can be a great way to spread the word about your fundraiser and raise money for your cause. Here a few tips to help your fundraiser gain momentum:
- Tag the charity and Mightycause: At Mightycause, we’re always on the lookout for cool fundraisers, so if you tag us on Facebook or Twitter, we may share or retweet to our audience! The charity you’re raising money for may do the same, so be sure to tag them as well.
- Mix it up: No one wants to see the same social media post about your fundraiser over and over, so get creative to make sure your posts are seen! Go live on Facebook, record a video, share photos, create your own images in Photoshop or Canva, get involved in memes (think “Mannequin Challenge”), issue a social media challenge… don’t be afraid to think outside of the box!
- Ask for shares and RTs: We all need a little help from our friends, so be sure to ask yours to share and RT your fundraiser to help increase your reach.
- Conduct personal outreach: Sharing on social media is important, but the impact of reaching out to personally ask someone to support your cause is huge as well. Personally emailing or messaging a few close friends and asking them to make a donation to your fundraiser can help you break the ice and get your first donations, or help you through a slump.
- Make specific “asks”: Making a general request that people donate to your page is all well and good, but what works even better is asking for something specific: A specific dollar amount, an amount that will get you to your next milestone, social media shares, etc. People like these kinds of requests because it takes the guesswork out of helping and gives them specific instructions!
- Add a link to your email signature: If you use email to communicate with your friends and family, try adding a link to your fundraiser to your signature. (Check your company’s policies before adding a link to your work email’s signature.)
Got additional questions about social sharing? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!